Saturday, September 22, 2007

200 degrees, that's why they call me Mr. Farenheit, I'm traveling at the speed of the light!

I woke up at morro bay state park on sunday morning. The campground i was at was heavily populated (saturday night, duh) and there was a group of EMS workers on a retreat next camping next to me, who were all very nice. as i was packing up, i checked the oil and fluids in my car, and to my surprise the coolant reservoir level was almost completely empty. I added some more coolant, and immediately saw a serious leak in the bottom of the radiator. After talking with my older brother on the phone for a while, he coached me enough so that i was able to find the apparent source of the leak, and attempt to fix it. It seemed simple enough, except that immediately afterwards i noticed there was a hitherto unnoticed leak in the top of the radiator... and this one much more drastic.

After spending an extra hour underneath my car, getting anti-freeze all over my face, clothes, and hair, (and campsite...ooops) i found the name of a local radiator repair service and called them. To my amazement (it was sunday,) they were open, but only because their shop had burned down years ago, and they ran the business from home. The owner was really nice and talked to me for about half an hour, giving me suggestions of what to do. Ironically, the only new part of the car was the freaking RADIATOR, since i had the fender-bender with kit dunn last summer in cape cod. Luckily that meant it was still under warranty. The only thing was, i had to be in davis in less than 24 hours to find a new apartment, get my paperwork and fees processed for school, and move-in.

After consulting with my brother and the other mechanics i spoke with, i thought things over for a long time, and decided to postpone the rest of the drive up the Pacific Coast Highway to San Francisco, and get straight to Davis by the end of the day via hwy 101. everyone i talked to said this would be possible if i kept the coolant level at a maximum throughout the trip. I was about 300 miles still from Davis, and i left at about 2 pm. So i high-tailed it all day, stopping every 30 or 45 minutes and filling up with water/coolant, not certain if i'd actually make it into town that night...

1 comment:

froodgirl said...

Not cool Dave...a cliffhanger? I was only half way through my bowl of popcorn.